Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Due to the college's closure for COVID-19, the Archives is not currently accessible. Please continue to email your questions, but know that our ability to access the collection is currently suspended.
This guide will provide users with information on the different materials available in the Bergen Community College Archives and also some information about archives in general.
The Archives collects, preserves and makes discoverable the historical resources of Bergen Community College.
Information for Researchers
Access to the collection will be facilitated by inventories, guides and indexes prepared by the staff for patron and staff use. Descriptive bibliographic records are developed by the staff to facilitate access from the Sidney Silverman Library online public access catalog of holdings.
Since the historical records of Bergen Community College are non-circulating, access is provided in the Sidney Silverman Library during normal library hours or by appointment. Photocopying, when allowed, will be available to patrons from the College and community.
Mission & Collection Policy
Mission: The Bergen Community College Archives serves as the final repository for the historical records of Bergen Community College, Paramus, New Jersey. Its primary purpose is to document the history of the College and to provide source material for administrators, faculty, students, alumni, and other members of the College community. The goals of the Bergen Community College Archives are as follows:
- Appraise, collect, organize, describe, make available, and preserve records of historical and administrative value to Bergen Community College and the community it serves.
- Provide adequate facilities for the retention and preservation of such records.
- Provide information services that will assist the operation of the College.
- Serve as a resource by making available and encouraging the use of its collection and to stimulate creative teaching and learning, by members of the College and the community at large.
- Promote knowledge and understanding of the origins, aims, programs, and goals of the College, and to be a resource for the development of these subjects.
Collection: The College Archives staff attempts to collect as comprehensively as possible those items that have enduring value to documenting the history of the College; its programs and services and how they have developed over the years. Types and formats of materials include:
- Official papers and publications of Bergen Community College
- press releases
- student newspapers
- Board of Trustees Minutes
- Faculty Senate Minutes
- Curriculum Committee Minutes
- audiovisual materials
- oral history interviews
- maps and drawings documenting the physical growth and development of the College
- theatre programs, etc.
- Ephemeral materials and artifacts
If deemed applicable to the life of the College, Faculty personal and professional papers will be included in the archives.
This guide was created by Nicholas C. Jackson and edited by Lynn Schott, Joan Cohen, Nicholas C. Jackson, & Kim (Reamer) Lynch.